January 11, 2017

INTOLERANCE GOOD, OR INTOLERANCE BAD? PICK A SIDE.


Yesterday, I watched a portion of Jeff Sessions' Senate confirmation hearing. I agree that it’s only right and proper that he (or any cabinet nominee) should face close scrutiny before we endow him with such awesome authority. His career experience, personal character, and general demeanor are all fair game, at a time like this. But in the view of this observer, the tests of orthodoxy seem to be getting weirder and weirder with each passing year.

Under questioning from Sen. Richard Blumenthal, it seems that Mr. Sessions keeps company with some shady characters. Apparently, he received a few awards from people with dangerous beliefs: One guy is a racist, one hates women, and the other is a general schmuck. "Will you return the awards and sever all ties?" 

REALLY? Is this what our country has come to?
.
This reminds me of a situation a few years back, when Sen. Trent Lott was labeled a bigot by the liberal media, because he said a few kind words about (proud admitted racist) Sen. Strom Thurmond in honor of his 100th birthday.

Isn’t this what we call intolerance, in any other context? Isn’t this what American society is NOT supposed to be about? Am I truly answerable for your sins, or you for mine? I'm getting a serious case of whiplash, from the hypocrisy of it all. Please, pick a side and stick to it.

Me, I have a lot of friends. I come from a big family and I worship with a big church. In my business, I have daily dealings with more people than I care to count. Altogether these might add up to a couple thousand people, with the list growing every week.
SEN. TRENT LOTT

Here’s the thing: I love my fellows dearly, and we rarely talk politics. For most, I just don't know or care what they believe about racism or abortion or affirmative action. I know not whether they voted for Clinton or Trump, nor where they stand on Obamacare or worker rights or GMO foods. And frankly I never gave it a thought until this very moment, to care whether most of them are gay, straight, bisexual, or something else. Nor, for that matter, am I particularly inclined to pick a fight about it.

Don’t get me wrong: I have some strong convictions on these issues; indeed, I’m probably as stubborn and dogmatic as anyone you know. But should I quiz you about them before I entertain a business deal with you or welcome you into my home? Must I send you packing, if you give the wrong answers? If that’s the case, then please disown me this instant. For I will probably disappoint you every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. (One of us might get nominated for Secretary of State someday, and I don't want to ruin my chances or yours.)

Perhaps Jeff Sessions is the right guy for the job. Or maybe not. But whatever the case, let’s talk real issues and choose a better hill to die on.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment